WEIGHT LOSS GOAL

Friday, October 5, 2007

Missing Running :(

Hopefully I did not misname this blog page. Read on...

Here's my story:
I've been running off & on for about a year. I had trained for my first 5K (which is 3.1 miles) back in late summer of 2006. Right before the race I got the flu and was unable to attend the event. So this spring I had an opportunity to run in the 5K portion of the Indy 500 Festival, and I jumped at the opportunity. Keep in mind, I was never in sports or anything so this was a big deal for me. I really just wanted to finish the race!! I only trained for about 5 weeks but was able to work up to it in that short amount of time. I had the goal in mind to finish in under 40 minutes (which I just squeaked in under that time) and to run the whole thing without stopping (except at the water stations, of course!).

Thrilled with my results (albeit very, very slow in the running world), I have continued to run and just finished my second 5K, shaving off over 3 1/2 minutes from my previous record. WOO HOO!!

So, of course, now I'm totally hooked on running and have already signed up for the next event (coming in 3 weeks) and have other events in the back of my mind.

Now, here's my sob story:
Right before my second 5K, my ankle developed tendonitis and I had to cut way back on my mileage about a week before the race. But I pushed thru and kicked a** on the race. Since then, however, I have not run at all. Trying to give the ankle plenty of time to heal.

3 weeks with no running. UGH! It's been sooooo hard. So I guess I didn't realize how hooked I was, or how much it meant to me until I couldn't do it any more. I've had several revelations:

1. I love to run. I need to run. I live to run.
2. Walking fast with or without incline on treadmill just doesn't do it for me any more. I can't even break a sweat. Wow! Am I really in THAT much better shape? Apparently.
3. The elliptical can totally kick your butt if done right.
4. Having the right shoes is key (another story for another time)
5. Part of what's great about running is being outdoors. I miss that, too!
6. Not running sucks. (duh)

But the good news is, everything seems to be going well and I may be able to start running again this weekend. I'm actually a little nervous. First, will I be able to do it again without totally sucking wind? Second, will my ankle hold up? Third, will my ankle hold up? You get the point. Or, maybe I'll be able to run for a few days and it will start hurting again. Or maybe it will be okay but I'll never be able to do more than a 5K. Cuz U no... I've got bigger plans for myself than that! I know, I know... I'm playing all these crazy head games with myself, and I need to quit fretting and "JUST DO IT", right? Right!

Later!

No comments: